Wednesday 26 July 2017

H0RR1BLE CH1LD - L'ÉTRANGE MR WH1NSTER (1976)

"To discourage sensible people" the cover states. A one-off project by Mr. J.P. Massiera under his Horrible Child moniker--a recording with a determinedly singular creative vision. Might best be described with references to radio plays or rock operas. Experiential sonics. Theatre for the ears.

I am often glad when I'm unable to understand lyrics and recorded voice due to language restrictions. Words too often overwhelm, and/or undermine the listening or dreaming session. Here, my workable French allows me the paranoid, tortured "libretto" which adds to the work, even at its most laughable and kitschy moments. This album should be commended for its humor as well as its innovative spirit. It should be remembered that the Old English word "dream" had little to with the idea of sleep-time visions, which was a later connotative accretion still under debate by etymologists and historians. Dremen: joy, rejoice, mirth, noisy merriment, music...

That being said, this is let us say a particularly dramatic kind of mirth music.

6 comments:

  1. I share your enjoyment of unintelligible lyrics: punk bands from Poland or the Czech Republic or whatever are stronger for me than US ones because the spirit comes across more strongly when I can't understand what they're saying. Same thing with global stuff like Tinariwen or Tartit for me; the mood is strengthened by my lack of understanding for the lyrics. Thanks for this and all the great posts here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPWIlCq_F1M&feature=youtu.be You must see this. YOU. NEED. IT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been three months since we've heard from you.... Asleep? Dreaming? I hope you're still around. Either way, thank you for all the dreamy sound shared here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asleep and dreaming is a fair summary. We have more posts in the pipeline. Thanks for your patience and support.

    ReplyDelete